Saturday, April 9, 2011

pygmy and golden

Group campsite
from the lookout above goldstream group campground
Hiked up the steep slope above the group campsite yesterday. Brown Creepers were singing as i got out of the car along side the highway. First time I heard a full song from them this year. about 1/3 of the way up the hillside I could hear the Pygmy Owl calling, toot ---toot. Someone on the internet wants to know how many calls it gives during one minute, (18), so they can try and figure out if there is more than one species of Northern Pygmy Owl.
It seemed to accompany me up to the top of the ridge, where, from all the commotion, it was found by a bunch of robins and juncos. far over the otherside of the valley, under the big cloud, a Golden eagle was doing its courtship display. It would close its wings and drop about 50 feet before opening them again and swooping up abit before dropping again. Quite neat to watch.
Parhelic Circle halo 
High above me there was a Halo that was off center from the sun and seem cut through the centre of it instead of surround it. Turns out they call that a Parhelic Circle. Who knew. Never seen it before today.

Once I was off the top of the ridge the Pygmy Owl showed up and landed on its usual snag out infront of the lookout. I guess it was waiting for me to leave.
At my feet was an Aligator Lizard. The first of the year for me. I wondered if the Owl would go for those, I suppose so.

No comments:

Post a Comment